2024+ Chevy Blazer EV Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I saw that Cadillac is currently offering $1500 towards the installation of a charger, but for the Chevy Bolt it is $1,000. Here is what I found on the Chevy site:

There are 3 options: Standard Home Installation, a Home Installation Credit, or EVgo Credit.
  • Standard Home Installation: Installation by a Qmerit electrician of 240-volt outlet and permit acquisition for customers with a standard home set up. If your home does not meet the standard home installation requirements you will be eligible for a credit of up to $1,000 towards a Qmerit installation of a 240-volt outlet and up to $250 towards permit fees.
  • EVgo Credit: $500 credit to use at EVgo Public Charging Stations

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Volt
22 Posts
Just a note. Even though the Blazer EV can take 11KW doesn't mean that it's required to have an 11KW EVSE. Most people drive less than 30 miles a day. I know people that have Bolt EV's that get by charging at L1 speeds (1.2KW) because their normally daily drive isn't very far.

Personally I have a 7.7KW setup (240V 32A). On our Bolt EV on most days it's back to fully charged in less than 2 hours. And we rarely ever come close to depleting the pack. On the Blazer EV 7.7KW will fully charge the large pack from depleted in ~13 hours - medium in ~11 hours and small pack in ~9 hours. 7.7KW is roughly 24 miles of range an hour on the Blazer EV. So that is more than fast enough for our needs. 11KW charging is roughly 32 miles of range an hour.

I understand that many may want a 48A 11KW EVSE for maximum flexibility and that's fair. But for the vast majority of people who's panel may not support that (or don't want to spend the money for the 60A circuit) don't fret. An 11KW EVSE is overkill for the vast majority of people.

In my last house I only had a 100A panel. My L2 EVSE was 16A (3.8KW). And even that will charge a Blazer EV at ~12 miles of range an hour. Or ~120 miles of range in 10 hours.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti.
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just a note. Even though the Blazer EV can take 11KW doesn't mean that it's required to have an 11KW EVSE. Most people drive less than 30 miles a day. I know people that have Bolt EV's that get by charging at L1 speeds (1.2KW) because their normally daily drive isn't very far.

Personally I have a 7.7KW setup (240V 32A). On our Bolt EV on most days it's back to fully charged in less than 2 hours. And we rarely ever come close to depleting the pack. On the Blazer EV 7.7KW will fully charge the large pack from depleted in ~13 hours - medium in ~11 hours and small pack in ~9 hours. 7.7KW is roughly 24 miles of range an hour on the Blazer EV. So that is more than fast enough for our needs. 11KW charging is roughly 32 miles of range an hour.

I understand that many may want a 48A 11KW EVSE for maximum flexibility and that's fair. But for the vast majority of people who's panel may not support that (or don't want to spend the money for the 60A circuit) don't fret. An 11KW EVSE is overkill for the vast majority of people.

In my last house I only had a 100A panel. My L2 EVSE was 16A (3.8KW). And even that will charge a Blazer EV at ~12 miles of range an hour. Or ~120 miles of range in 10 hours.
My garage is woefully lacking in electrical possibilities due to the age of the house / garage and the grage panel I will have to upgrade to maximise what I have to work with. The garage is detached and has a underground service run from the house. If I can get a charger that can provide 50 miles in a day given my available wiring I'll be happy. I am retired and don't need a daily 80% charge. Right now my existing panel is pretty ancient, but even though I've got circuits pre-wired for 220 they will require inspection, probable replacement, and most likely a new dedicated hardwire for a charger. Right now now of the 220 circuits are not being used. One is indicated for heat even though there are not any signs of baseboard resistant heaters ever being installed. The other was probably for a window AC which does have a 220 receptacle under one window.
Electrical wiring Gas Fixture Machine Electronic device

21 - 23 of 23 Posts