2024+ Chevy Blazer EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing that the Ultium platform will have a wireless monitoring system attached to each pack of cells within the entire structure. This would be able to tell GM if any of the packs are malfunctioning rather than just looking at the battery health of the entire pack like their competitors. My question was does this make reparability easier? Are they able to repair a particular pack of cells rather than having to replace the entire battery pack? Does that mean that down the road as battery tech improves you could slowly upgrade the entire battery one group at a time rather than having to spend 20-30K? If so that would be huge. After watching the 4680 deconstruction on Munro Live they noted the reparability is basically 0. How does that not make others extremely nervous? Warranties don't last forever.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
126 Posts
I remember seeing that the Ultium platform will have a wireless monitoring system attached to each pack of cells within the entire structure. This would be able to tell GM if any of the packs are malfunctioning rather than just looking at the battery health of the entire pack like their competitors. My question was does this make reparability easier? Are they able to repair a particular pack of cells rather than having to replace the entire battery pack? Does that mean that down the road as battery tech improves you could slowly upgrade the entire battery one group at a time rather than having to spend 20-30K? If so that would be huge. After watching the 4680 deconstruction on Munro Live they noted the reparability is basically 0. How does that not make others extremely nervous? Warranties don't last forever.
Your question(s) are ones that I've also mulled over. It seems that I read somewhere sometime back that the Ultium platform would allow them to repair/replace a module in the event of some sort of malfunction. Agreed, that could be huge if they are capable of such repairs/replacements/upgrades. Let's hope so! Maybe someone knows more about this and can chime in with some actual facts? Perhaps Neromancer knows more about this?

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Volt
29 Posts
Your question(s) are ones that I've also mulled over. It seems that I read somewhere sometime back that the Ultium platform would allow them to repair/replace a module in the event of some sort of malfunction. Agreed, that could be huge if they are capable of such repairs/replacements/upgrades. Let's hope so! Maybe someone knows more about this and can chime in with some actual facts? Perhaps Neromancer knows more about this?
Yes modules are individually replaceable. Each battery module in a sense acts as it's own sort of independent battery with it's own independent battery monitoring system that communicates wirelessly to a an overall BECM. My understanding is you can even replace a module with a new module with a higher capacity and different battery chemistry as long as you keep within certain overall voltage thresholds of the power electronics (and my understanding is that Ultium is designed to work under a fairly wide voltage threshold). It's actually quite unique (so far) with some interesting future opportunities.

It's sort of the opposite direction of some other manufacturers. GM is going super flexible with the battery for various vehicle combinations and usage cases. But also makes it flexible for future battery cell tech and flexible for supply chain reasons. So if for whatever reason (as an example) GM can't make NCMA cells they could switch to LFP for some applications if needed.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
126 Posts
Great! Thanks Neromancer for your input and analysis of this subject. It's nice to think that we might be able to expect some flexibility and "interesting future opportunities" in the Ultium platform battery technology as things develop over time. I would think that an investment in a Blazer EV (Ultium Battery Platform) vehicle would be more rewarding than some...most...of the other options currently available.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts