2024+ Chevy Blazer EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
153 Posts
People keep talking about half the tax credit based on built in NA. I don’t think that’s true. I think that is a precursor to get any credit. There are still 2 parts. 1 is battery materials and the other are battery component. Each have there own % requirements to fulfill to get each half of the credit.
Peterd15: I do believe your explanation of the IRA tax credit is correct. I've also seen and read about partial credit scenarios stating that made in North America (USA, Mexico and Canada) would yield a half credit of $3,750. Heck, I've mistakenly written and thought that to be the case...but I'm pretty sure I was wrong. I've read and re-read that portion of the IRA several times and I think it can only be taken for what it says:

PART 4--CLEAN VEHICLES

SEC. 13401. CLEAN VEHICLE CREDIT.

(a) Per Vehicle Dollar Limitation.--Section 30D(b) is amended by
striking paragraphs (2) and (3) and inserting the following:
``(2) Critical minerals.--In the case of a vehicle with
respect to which the requirement described in subsection
(e)(1)(A) is satisfied, the amount determined under this
paragraph is $3,750.
``(3) Battery components.--In the case of a vehicle with
respect to which the requirement described in subsection
(e)(2)(A) is satisfied, the amount determined under this
paragraph is $3,750.''.
(b) Final Assembly.--Section 30D(d) is amended--
(1) in paragraph (1)--
(A) in subparagraph (E), by striking ``and'' at the
end,
(B) in subparagraph (F)(ii), by striking the period
at the end and inserting ``, and'', and
(C) by adding at the end the following:
``(G) the final assembly of which occurs within
North America.'',

It's clearly the "minerals" and "Battery components" requirements being met (at the various stages of time) that determines what would qualify as a partial credit of ($3,750). "Final Assembly in North America" is only a requirement which allows you to go forward with the individual minerals and battery components requirements in order to determine if the "Clean Vehicle" is in compliance with the IRA requirements.

· Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
153 Posts
Hopefully, GM will disclose which of their vehicles...if any...will either partially or fully meet the requirements of the IRA once the bill is passed this afternoon, or, at least once it is signed into law by Biden. I'm guessing that they don't want to get their cart before the horse until everything is finalized? :unsure: Sure hoping that the Blazer EV makes it through the twists and turns of this new EV tax credit! ⚡✅

· Registered
22 Posts
Hopefully, GM will disclose which of their vehicles...if any...will either partially or fully meet the requirements of the IRA once the bill is passed this afternoon, or, at least once it is signed into law by Biden. I'm guessing that they don't want to get their cart before the horse until everything is finalized? :unsure: Sure hoping that the Blazer EV makes it through the twists and turns of this new EV tax credit! ⚡✅
If may be a bit longer to wait because after the President signs it, guidance by the Secretary of the Treasury will be written. That's when specifics are released because as you can tell there are a lot of gaps in the bill. Once that is done manufacturers will know the rules that are set. That's why manufacturers are trying to lobby to get waivers.

· Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
153 Posts
If may be a bit longer to wait because after the President signs it, guidance by the Secretary of the Treasury will be written. That's when specifics are released because as you can tell there are a lot of gaps in the bill. Once that is done manufacturers will know the rules that are set. That's why manufacturers are trying to lobby to get waivers.
Good point playboy. Will be VERY interesting to watch how this all plays out once it becomes law.

· Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, my understanding is that until those guidelines are in place the only disqualifying factor is country of origin.
Sure hoping that my Leaf hits the dealer this month as expected, as I will still get all $7500 if I buy it before the treasury defines all the battery specifics. (Made in TN)

· Registered
22 Posts
Not sure if this is going to impact the House vote but the EU and South Korea have come forward claiming the changes that are part of the IRA are in violation of the WTO rules.

EU claims violation of WTO rules
That's interesting because Canada and Mexico was saying the same thing to when the bill was originally written for additional $4,500 in tax credits to buyers of electric vehicles made by unionized U.S. workers.
Article

Even though I like the end results of the bill, the EV part wasn't thought through so it was improperly built.

· Registered
1968 Camaro - 2010 Camaro SS/RS (VIN 000296) - 2008 Trailblazer (V8) - 2019 Jeep GC Limited X
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, it's a law now. Hopefully we'll all be able to still afford our future Blazer EVs this time next year!

· Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
153 Posts
Well, it's a law now. Hopefully we'll all be able to still afford our future Blazer EVs this time next year!
Hope GM will announce as soon as possible (once the Treasury announces all the nitty-gritty details of the IRAs implementation) the cars that will qualify under the new law!🤞 Well, I think it's the Treasury that does the interpreting of the law...my civics is unfortunately a bit weak in this regard!:unsure:

· Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately I think the MSRP will go up before the Blazer EV actually begins deliveries. I'm basing this on inflation + possible Federal EV credits + increased demand after auto shows. You just know that if the Federal $7500 tax credit is allowed for the Blazer then GM will want a piece of that.

· Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
153 Posts
Unfortunately I think the MSRP will go up before the Blazer EV actually begins deliveries. I'm basing this on inflation + possible Federal EV credits + increased demand after auto shows. You just know that if the Federal $7500 tax credit is allowed for the Blazer then GM will want a piece of that.
But...what if they want to stay competitive and grab lots of market share as they strive to become a major player in the BEV market.? You know the old saying: "Don't cut your nose off to spite your face." Holding their July announced pricing might just show that they thought this pricing situation through before their Blazer EV introduction? You'd think so...right?

· Registered
20 Posts
lol, I got into some trouble at the EV6 forum for saying that people hoping for the tax credit to make the vehicle affordable to them were not making a financially sound decision. If that few thousand dollars can make or break you, might be time to look for something more affordable from the get go. Yes, it's no fun when you can't afford the car that you want, but being responsible can be difficult sometimes. If the vehicle is a must have, I'd recommend people find a 2nd job to supplement their income.

· Registered
49 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
If the Bolt EUV is, then Blazer EV should be, because Blazer ICE itself is a SUV. The lyriq story, I am also following. But I believe its just a glitch from the IRS.
The IRS follows the EPA guidance for classifications which has more to deal with passenger volume, 2wd/4wd and vehicle weight than common sense. There are plenty of vehicles(ex. Lyriq) which present as SUV(or crossover) like but are classified as a car(or wagon) due to gross vehicle weight.

· Registered
49 Posts
The IRS follows the EPA guidance for classifications which has more to deal with passenger volume, 2wd/4wd and vehicle weight than common sense. There are plenty of vehicles(ex. Lyriq) which present as SUV(or crossover) like but are classified as a car(or wagon) due to gross vehicle weight.

In my book, an SUV should be able to load a regular sheet of 4x8 plywood or a dishwasher. Lyriq and blazer has very small opening, making EPA statement of a station wagon make sense.

· Registered
13 Posts
In my book, an SUV should be able to load a regular sheet of 4x8 plywood or a dishwasher. Lyriq and blazer has very small opening, making EPA statement of a station wagon make sense.
Many of today's ICE 'SUV' are really 'CUV' which means lifted station wagon.
Many EV SUV/CUVs actually have the clearance of station wagons. Bolt EUV and Kia Niro are examples.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts