2024+ Chevy Blazer EV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted the following in the Chevy Bolt EUV forums and I'll post it again here.

I am imploring all who read this post not to allow any dealer to charge you even a single penny more than MSRP for your chosen trim level, packages, options and features when you are buying your next vehicle. If you buy a car for more than MSRP, you will instantly lose 100% that additional cash as soon as you drive off the lot--not to mention the following:

1) Insurance will NOT pay for that difference if your brand new vehicle is totaled.
2) That "market adjustment" of $2,500 to $5,000 or more will make no difference to Kelly Bluebook or anyone else when you try to trade in or sell your car in the future.
3) You are encouraging dealers to continue this practice and collude to (effectively) permanently raise the price of these vehicles.

Thankfully, dealers like Bergstrom Chevrolet in Madison, WI (where I purchased my Bolt EUV Premier) and Zeigler Chevy of Clayton, PA whom I spoke to on a friend's behalf yesterday are two dealerships that I know do not charge these ridiculous markups on what is essentially a $35,000 car.

I am posting this because this same above-mentioned friend tried for the past two weeks to purchase a Chevy Bolt EUV Premier and was baited and switched by a salesman at Morgan Chevrolet in Tampa, FL whom he asked what the car he wanted was selling for and was told that whatever the price that was listed on the website was correct. He told the salesman that it was listed for MSRP and the guy told him this was correct for the stock number. The sales person even went out to the lot and took a picture of the sticker and a video workaround of the car and sent it to him, sent him a link to assess his trade-in and talked about financing options.

Unfortunately, as soon as my friend said he was ready to make the deal, the salesman sent him an invoice listing a $5,000 market adjustment as well as "Platinum Club" membership (whatever the **** that means) for $3,495 and window tint for $499--neither of which he had requested. When he asked to have all of those removed, he was told that they were non-negotiable. This dealership had now wasted several hours of his day going back and forth making him think he was getting his car at MSRP only to pull this B.S. at the last minute.

The next dealer that he worked with, Edwards Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac of Council Bluffs, Iowa strung my friend Pete along for nearly 2 weeks, although I don't think his salesperson there knew what was going to happen. This guy swore up and down that they specifically did not charge dealer markups on Chevy vehicles and the only ones they ever did were on high end GMC trucks, Escalades and some Corvettes. My friend was told this multiple times over several phone calls as the salesperson was tracking the progress for him of an in-transit Bolt EUV coming from the factory in Michigan. Today, the salesman called my friend to tell him that the car had just shown up out of nowhere with some other delivers and he was ready to take his deposit so he could hold the car for him. My friend and his wife just happened to be over for dinner when he got the call so I overheard the whole conversation. The salesman seemed genuinely excited and even reiterated that the selling price of the car would be MSRP--even volunteering the fact that he would be offered an additional charge for ceramic coating and paint protection that he could opt to decline and proceeded to take his info down to put a deposit on the car so he could pick it up tomorrow. My friend had finally found his exact trim and color preference with the options he was looking for and at a much closer dealership.

We were literally high-fiving each other at the dinner table when the sales guy called back five minutes later sounding totally deflated and stating that his sales manager said that there was now a $5,000 mandatory market adjustment on the vehicle. The kid was so apologetic that I actually felt sorry for him because he seemed genuinely upset about what had just happened. My friend was visibly shaken and pissed-off and asked to speak with the manager. We were all listening on speakerphone as the manager proceeded to tell him that that he was not budging regardless of what the salesperson had said for the past two weeks and, when my friend asked him what kind of customer experience Chevy was trying to foster by him pulling such a stunt. The manager had the audacity to ask him, "Do you know what supply and demand means?" My friend literally snapped and asked the manager if he was actually trying that hard to tarnish Chevrolet's reputation even further by being condescending on top of trying to pull a bait and switch. At that point, the manager actually asked him why my friend was being so "aggressive." CLICK! My friend simply hung up. A few minutes later the Young salesperson called back and further apologized for the managers attitude and said that he was truly sorry and that he had even verified with a different sales manager a couple of weeks prior that it was not their policy to mark-up Chevy vehicles. My friend said that he didn't blame the kid but he should absolutely blame his manager for robbing him and their dealership of a guaranteed sale. Why should he pay an extra $5,000 for a Chevy Bolt when he can buy a RWD Model 3 today for the same exact price and have a faster charging, longer range vehicle without all the dealer pressure and B.S.? "Do you have any idea how many sales you people are losing to Tesla and others because of your greed?" The kid had no response other to apologize again and to say he totally understood why my friend was upset.

I have to agree with my friend. I'm glad that my EUV purchase experience was way more positive than this, but does GM have any idea how this is killing brand loyalty and hurting sales long term? Do they really think that people who get burned like this will come back and buy another GM product ever again after being subjected to this type of treatment?

For your own sakes, and to help put these predatory dealers in their place, I'm asking all of you potential buyers out there to say NOT A PENNY MORE if any dealer tells you that you have to pay more than MSRP for any vehicle. If they won't budge, walk right out the door or hang up like my friend did. That's the only way they are going to get the message.

· Registered
5 Posts
Better to direct your complaint to GM corporate somehow. I think it's on the manufacturers to reign this in. Although I love the RS for the money, I have a reservation for a Fisker Ocean and a big factor in that purchase is the direct sales model. You order what you want, that price is fixed, and it shows up at your door. The fact that I'm willing to risk buying an EV with no track record and only vague service center capability is an indication of how much I hate the existing dealer sales experience. The future is on line direct sales and dealer greed is only going to hasten that transition.

· Registered
8 Posts
I agree the future is online and direct to consumer sales. I saw a quote stating dealers in the chain increase the sells price on average $2000.00

A big problem is the dealers lobby politicians to block the direct to consumer sells model in several states.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Better to direct your complaint to GM corporate somehow. I think it's on the manufacturers to reign this in. Although I love the RS for the money, I have a reservation for a Fisker Ocean and a big factor in that purchase is the direct sales model. You order what you want, that price is fixed, and it shows up at your door. The fact that I'm willing to risk buying an EV with no track record and only vague service center capability is an indication of how much I hate the existing dealer sales experience. The future is on line direct sales and dealer greed is only going to hasten that transition.
In fact, we did. We both spoke on speaker directly with a gentleman named Anton(?) in GM's electric vehicle division to report my friend's experience and express our dissatisfaction and deep disappointment with how things were handled at that particular dealership. The guy was truly stunned at the condescending attitude and some of the phrases used by the dealership's sales manager to justify the sudden tacking on of a $5,000 markup. He told is that he would file a formal complaint against the dealership and assured us that these complaints do indeed count as a strike against them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts