2024+ Chevy Blazer EV Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Camaro - 2010 Camaro SS/RS (VIN 000296) - 2008 Trailblazer (V8) - 2019 Jeep GC Limited X
68 Posts
I'm hoping that this time next year, battery development will have allowed them to 'find' more range on all their offerings and fingers crossed, everything will exceed 300+.

Reactions: BlazCraz

·
Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
11 Posts
Smaller wheels on the RS would give it more range right off the bat. It's not just theoretical. The EV range drops on the Tesla's and the BMW I4s with bigger wheels.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Volt
22 Posts
Smaller wheels on the RS would give it more range right off the bat. It's not just theoretical. The EV range drops on the Tesla's and the BMW I4s with bigger wheels.

Typically this is true. All the Blazer EV's will have the same Tire OD despite different wheel sizes. The main reasons why larger wheels lead to lower efficiency is because of aerodynamics and unsprung weight. Typically larger rims with smaller sidewall tires have worse aerodynamics and more weight than smaller wheels and larger sidewall tires.

However this isn't always true. There are ways to design wheels for aerodynamics that might offset the difference.
Also most likely the 19" wheels will be cast aluminum. But it's possible that the 21" RS wheels might be made using a flow formed process which will allow them to be just about as light as a 19" cast wheel. So it will be interesting to see what path GM takes. There are some EV's on the market where the larger tire options do not appear to impact range.

One other piece of information we don't yet know is the tire width. We don't know how wide the 2LT or RS tires will be. Wider tires certainly lead to worse aerodynamics (and higher unsprung weight). And often sportier tires are wider.
Images from the Chevrolet media site show the SS tires to be 275/40R22 which are 275 mm wide. The base tires appear to be 265mm wide but this isn't certain. I don't know what the RS tires will be. The 20" Wheels on the Cadillac Lyriq are 265/50R20. Using this I can make some educated guesses for the Blazer EV.
My estimation for wheel Sizes on the Blazer EV:
1LT/2LT 265/55R19
RS 275/45R21 - update from Edmonds video that showed the tire size from reveal event.
SS 275/40R22

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
115 Posts
Typically this is true. All the Blazer EV's will have the same Tire OD despite different wheel sizes. The main reasons why larger wheels lead to lower efficiency is because of aerodynamics and unsprung weight. Typically larger rims with smaller sidewall tires have worse aerodynamics and more weight than smaller wheels and larger sidewall tires.

However this isn't always true. There are ways to design wheels for aerodynamics that might offset the difference.
Also most likely the 19" wheels will be cast aluminum. But it's possible that the 21" RS wheels might be made using a flow formed process which will allow them to be just about as light as a 19" cast wheel. So it will be interesting to see what path GM takes. There are some EV's on the market where the larger tire options do not appear to impact range.

One other piece of information we don't yet know is the tire width. We don't know how wide the 2LT or RS tires will be. Wider tires certainly lead to worse aerodynamics (and higher unsprung weight). And often sportier tires are wider.
Images from the Chevrolet media site show the SS tires to be 275/40R22 which are 275 mm wide. The base tires appear to be 265mm wide but this isn't certain. I don't know what the RS tires will be. The 20" Wheels on the Cadillac Lyriq are 265/50R20. Using this I can make some educated guesses for the Blazer EV.
My estimation for wheel Sizes on the Blazer EV:
1LT/2LT 265/55R19
RS 275/45R21 - update from Edmonds video that showed the tire size from reveal event.
SS 275/40R22
Excellent...Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
These are interesting thoughts on motor and battery configs. My concern, is that the RS fwd and rwd will cost the same amount. So how could they offer a larger battery pack for range without removing something to keep it the same price. We have to be missing something.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Volt
22 Posts
These are interesting thoughts on motor and battery configs. My concern, is that the RS fwd and rwd will cost the same amount. So how could they offer a larger battery pack for range without removing something to keep it the same price. We have to be missing something.
The RS FWD and RWD will most certainly not cost the same.
RS FWD we know is $52K, My estimation AWD is likely ~$55K, RWD is likely going to be ~$60K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The RS FWD and RWD will most certainly not cost the same.
RS FWD we know is $52K, My estimation AWD is likely ~$55K, RWD is likely going to be ~$60K.
Wow, they changed the website. I remember seeing it say the RS came standard with either fwd or rwd. And it was also in one of the videos I watched. I guess no more.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Volt
22 Posts
Wow, they changed the website. I remember seeing it say the RS came standard with either fwd or rwd. And it was also in one of the videos I watched. I guess no more.
I don't think they ever said it's standard with FWD or RWD. I've seen lots of videos mentioning it's available with FWD, AWD and RWD. RWD is a bigger motor and battery there is no way it would ever be the same cost as FWD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think they ever said it's standard with FWD or RWD. I've seen lots of videos mentioning it's available with FWD, AWD and RWD. RWD is a bigger motor and battery there is no way it would ever be the same cost as FWD.
They stated that FWD and RWD are options (not optional) but standard. The catch for the RWD is that they say at the bottom, availability dependent on battery pack size. So it seems that there is an upgrade to the larger battery and I'm sure that is at a cost. 😞 But my hope is I'm wrong cause the graphic and what they have said in the media makes you believe you get 320 miles with the RS RWD for $52k. 🤞🏾 That's marketing for you
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Hood Light

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2022/jul/0718-blazerev.html

41 - 50 of 50 Posts