2024+ Chevy Blazer EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDzqo5MU62A&t=206s

From what Doug saying:
ModelConfigurationBattery PackRange (miles)
1LTFWDSmall247
2LT & RSFWDMedium293 (estimated for RS FWD, should be similar to 2LT FWD)
2LT & RSAWDMediumUnknown
RSRWDLarge320
SSAWDLarge290

Also, I saw some informations about drives but they are not confirmed. From this source SS HP is lower than announced BUT, 557HP is maybe only for WOW mode
Torque for FWD doesn't make sense (in N-m)

ModelConfigurationHPTorque
1LTFWD248 hp (185 kW)255 lb-ft (305 N-m)
2LT & RSFWD212 hp (158 kW)225 lb-ft (305 N-m)
2LT & RSAWD295 hp (220 kW)346 lb-ft (469 N-m)
RSRWD342 hp (255 kW)300 lb-ft (407 N-m)
SSAWD500 hp (373 kW)525 lb-ft (712 N-m)
One thing that this points out is that the AWD 2LT/RS will only have the Medium Battery Pack. So using the RS vs. SS with Large pack and using the same ratio of 90% range for AWD compared to single, that would put the AWD RS at about 265 miles which is getting rather low to me. Hope they have realistic numbers by the time we have to order.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand that your hp/torque figures are "not confirmed." I don't buy the 2LT and RS AWD @ 295 hp. I've never seen an AWD (two motors) with less hp and torque than a two-wheel (one motor) variant. And, the SS trims is rated...I think from my [email protected] 557 hp (in WOW mode) and around 650 lb-ft of torque.

Appreciate you input though! (y)
Time will tell! But they already said the RS RWD is using a larger drive

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
115 Posts
Yes, time will tell. I sure hope these RS numbers are way off. If not, this would be a real game changer for me on the Blazer EV. I'm trying really hard not to have to settle for a Fisker Ocean Ultra which I also have reserved! Come on Chevrolet...don't make me do it!:cry:

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
115 Posts
The chart got me looking since GM claims that everything is modular so "small", "medium", and "large" motors make sense just like the batteries. I found this article, GM details Ultium EV motor family, enabling more range without bigger batteries about their motors. So it will be a matter of the combinations.
Don't know statistically (hated statistics in college o_O) exactly how many combinations they can come up with. All I know is that if I can't get a RS with at least 400 hp and 0-60 in under 4.75 seconds I'll be going somewhere else. The Ocean Ultra has 530 hp and 0-60 in under 4 seconds (according to Fisker's claims). The Ultra and RS will very likely be priced very close to each other once they are optioned and accessorized. Like we've said: Time will tell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The chart got me looking since GM claims that everything is modular so "small", "medium", and "large" motors make sense just like the batteries. I found this article, GM details Ultium EV motor family, enabling more range without bigger batteries about their motors. So it will be a matter of the combinations.
Yeah and that's why I was surprised by the 2LT / RS FWD drive unit (158 kW) since it was not in the list, but the EV600 do have a 150 kW / 200hp front drive! See EPA certificate

·
Registered
1968 Camaro - 2010 Camaro SS/RS (VIN 000296) - 2008 Trailblazer (V8) - 2019 Jeep GC Limited X
68 Posts
I don't have a lot to add to this discussion, but one thing I found the other day was in a MotorTrend article that says the Ultium batteries don't suffer from DC fast charging battery degradation so in theory, you could always charge to 100% and not suffer from range loss like other vehicles / batteries that recommend only charging to 80% and not letting it drop below 20% before charging. Would like some confirmation on this if anyone has more information or thoughts.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Volt
22 Posts
My understanding and guesses so far.

1LT will use 180KW FWD motor. Battery size estimate ~68KWh (96S, 2P configuration [12 modules 8S 2P]) - Different module size (total guess on the module).
2LT/RS FWD 180KW. Battery size estimate ~83KWh (80S, 3P configuration [10 modules 8S 3P])
2LT/RS AWD 180KW Front, 62KW Rear. Battery size estimate ~83KWh (80S, 3P configuration [10 modules 8S 3P])
RS RWD 255KW Rear. Battery size estimate ~100KWh (96S, 3P configuration [12 modules 8S 3P])
SS AWD 255KW Rear, 180KW Front Battery size estimate ~100KWh (96S, 3P configuration [12 modules 8S 3P])

Personally I would like to see an RS AWD version with 255KW Rear and 62KW Front motor with the 100KWh pack.

180KW is 241HP, 255KW is 342HP, 62KW is 83HP.
The two larger motors are permanent magnet the smaller motor is induction.

Because the smaller 62KW motor is induction it will be able to free spin with little to no parasitic losses. This should mean that AWD versions of the 2LT and RS versions should see a minimal range hit by adding AWD.

The combined HP of AWD motors won't directly add together as they will have different single reduction gears generating peak power in different ways.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
115 Posts
My understanding and guesses so far.

1LT will use 180KW FWD motor. Battery size estimate ~68KWh (96S, 2P configuration [12 modules 8S 2P]) - Different module size (total guess on the module).
2LT/RS FWD 180KW. Battery size estimate ~83KWh (80S, 3P configuration [10 modules 8S 3P])
2LT/RS AWD 180KW Front, 62KW Rear. Battery size estimate ~83KWh (80S, 3P configuration [10 modules 8S 3P])
RS RWD 255KW Rear. Battery size estimate ~100KWh (96S, 3P configuration [12 modules 8S 3P])
SS AWD 255KW Rear, 180KW Front Battery size estimate ~100KWh (96S, 3P configuration [12 modules 8S 3P])

Personally I would like to see an RS AWD version with 255KW Rear and 62KW Front motor with the 100KWh pack.

180KW is 241HP, 255KW is 342HP, 62KW is 83HP.
The two larger motors are permanent magnet the smaller motor is induction.

Because the smaller 62KW motor is induction it will be able to free spin with little to no parasitic losses. This should mean that AWD versions of the 2LT and RS versions should see a minimal range hit by adding AWD.

The combined HP of AWD motors won't directly add together as they will have different single reduction gears generating peak power in different ways.
I agree with you!
425HP (342 + 83 HP) sounds really good to me for the AWD RS! (y)

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Volt
22 Posts
I agree with you!
425HP (342 + 83 HP) sounds really good to me for the AWD RS! (y)
I think GM is saving this powertrain configuration for Cadillac and maybe Buick to differentiate brands. Though it would have made a nice "special" RS configuration. HP of motors don't add directly. So this configuration would likely be closer to 400HP.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
115 Posts
I think GM is saving this powertrain configuration for Cadillac and maybe Buick to differentiate brands. Though it would have made a nice "special" RS configuration. HP of motors don't add directly. So this configuration would likely be closer to 400HP.
Thanks...got it! I could live with 400HP. You are an engineer?

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Volt
22 Posts
Thanks...got it! I could live with 400HP. You are an engineer?
Well for me it's more about the right power to weight to achieve a desirable performance. It's possible that the AWD (~300HP) might actually be just about as quick as the RWD (~340HP). The AWD produces more torque and will be a bit lighter. Yes I'm an engineer.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
115 Posts
Well for me it's more about the right power to weight to achieve a desirable performance. It's possible that the AWD (~300HP) might actually be just about as quick as the RWD (~340HP). The AWD produces more torque and will be a bit lighter. Yes I'm an engineer.
Yes, I suppose you are correct about achieving "desirable performance." For me anyway, it's all about the "fun factor" (instant torque) that is one of the main attributes that I'm looking for in an EV. I could care less about top end speed as long as it is capable of around 100 mph. That said, it seems to me that HP figures jumping from ~300/340 all the way up to 557 leaves a really big gap in the linear progression of potential possibilities? Again, to me, it looks like there is more of a "sweet spot" available somewhere between those proposed HP figures which would give us some stimulating dynamic performance without reaching WOW type levels?

Perhaps an EE? I do appreciate your input and expertise! Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Volt
22 Posts
Yes, I suppose you are correct about achieving "desirable performance." For me anyway, it's all about the "fun factor" (instant torque) that is one of the main attributes that I'm looking for in an EV. I could care less about top end speed as long as it is capable of around 100 mph. That said, it seems to me that HP figures jumping from ~300/340 all the way up to 557 leaves a really big gap in the linear progression of potential possibilities? Again, to me, it looks like there is more of a "sweet spot" available somewhere between those proposed HP figures which would give us some stimulating dynamic performance without reaching WOW type levels?

Perhaps an EE? I do appreciate your input and expertise! Thanks!
I certainly see your perspective and agree that a special RS AWD with ~400hp would be a nice option. Though I suspect GM is going to offer this configuration with it's other brands.

I'm technically an ME but do quite a bit of electrical stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A Blazer RS awd realy needs the largest battery. Est range ~265mi would just not be competitive with the MME(I think the MME is 277mi with AWD). I can see GM needing to offer a lower price/lower range trim, but mainline versions need to be closer to 300mi, even with AWD.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
115 Posts
A Blazer RS awd realy needs the largest battery. Est range ~265mi would just not be competitive with the MME(I think the MME is 277mi with AWD). I can see GM needing to offer a lower price/lower range trim, but mainline versions need to be closer to 300mi, even with AWD.
You are absolutely correct greenne! I couldn't agree with you more. Chevrolet (GM) needs for this car to be a big hit with this extremely important new launch. I certainly hope they think long and hard about this RS AWD version and realize they need to be out front of the competition on this one!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts