1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a problem with the range and charging math - squaring the proverbial circle. What am I missing?

I know GM have not released battery sizes, but allow me to make a guess. I'll assume GM are providing best-case/optimized numbers. The Bolt got ~240 miles from 60 kWh. The Blazer specs say 320 miles (a third more range), and the Blazer is bigger and heavier - so at least 80 kWh and maybe 90 kWh. Let's play it safe and assume 90 kWh. A smaller battery would add more miles per minute so I'm trying to favor GM.

190 kWh for 10 mins should provide 31.7 kWh. That's ~35% of a 90 kWh pack. That should imply ~112 miles in 10 mins.
Even if it's a 100 kWh battery (same as the Lyriq), that's still over 30% (and should add 101 miles in 10 mins). If it can't charge at full speed from ~5% to ~40%, that would be odd.

78 miles is slightly less than 1/4 of the 320 mile range - and therefore imply roughly 25% of the battery.
(320/78)x31.7 would imply a 130 kWh pack - and that seems absurdly big considering the Lyriq has a 312 mile range and a 100 kWh battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a problem with the range and charging math - squaring the proverbial circle. What am I missing? I know GM have not released battery sizes, but allow me to make a guess. I'll assume GM are providing best-case/optimized numbers. The Bolt got ~240 miles from 60 kWh. The Blazer specs say 320 miles (a third more range), and the Blazer is bigger and heavier - so at least 80 kWh and maybe 90 kWh. Let's play it safe and assume 90 kWh. A smaller battery would add more miles per minute so I'm trying to favor GM. 190 kWh for 10 mins should provide 31.7 kWh. That's ~35% of a 90 kWh pack. That should imply ~112 miles in 10 mins. Even if it's a 100 kWh battery (same as the Lyriq), that's still over 30% (and should add 101 miles in 10 mins). If it can't charge at full speed from ~5% to ~40%, that would be odd. 78 miles is slightly less than 1/4 of the 320 mile range - and therefore imply roughly 25% of the battery. (320/78)x31.7 would imply a 130 kWh pack - and that seems absurdly big considering the Lyriq has a 312 mile range and a 100 kWh battery.
190kw/h is the peak charge rate, it will not maintain that charge rate for the entirety of the charge. Likely, it’ll only be able to hit 190 kw/h for a short period of time (a few minutes). The 10 minute charge time will include a ramp up and ramp down to 190kw/h. Also, EV batteries have two numbers: actual size and usable size. EVs typically have a buffer to prevent wear and tear. The size of the buffer is determined by the manufacturer during development. Some cars have a small buffer, some have a larger. Combined with different profiles and weights of the vehicle, and different efficiencies of the components, it’s really hard to determine the size of a car’s battery based on the size of another car’s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts